Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Maple Buttermilk Bread

I love fresh bread. But I don't have the time or patience to do it by hand. Last December, I got a bread machine on Amazon.com for an amazing price! I knew exactly what bread recipe I wanted to make first. Growing up my mom would have a maple buttermilk bread mix for the bread machine. It was the best! All us kids would devour it. I found a couple of recipes and tried them out but they used real buttermilk or powered which got expensive. With some help from my mom (who always comes to my rescue), I was able to tweak it. 


Remember, the ingredients need to be added in this order. This make a 1 1/2 lb loaf. I bake on normal settling, light. 

1 1/8c. luke warm milk
1T Vinegar
3-4T pure maple syrup
1T vegetable oil or melted butter (I've used grape-seed oil and olive oil before too)
1 tsp salt (maybe add 1/4tsp if needed)
3 c. bread flour
1T gluten  
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast


The Vinegar will cause the milk to curdle and give the buttermilk effect. Now I need to find a whole wheat bread recipe to tweak.


3 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty good. I don't use a bread machine, but I think I'll try it with my stand mixer/oven. What is the added gluten for though? I've also heard you can use lemon juice with milk as a substitute for buttermilk.
    I have a wheat bread recipe I like: http://prettygeek.com/2011/10/26/soft-honey-wheat-bread/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it helpful to add gluten to assist in rising and the original recipe had it included. You can use lemon juice instead of vinegar. They both have the same effects causing the milk to curdle. I look forward to trying your wheat recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bread too, and my bread machine! I know what you mean about how hard a job it is to be a wife and mother, but so very rewarding. New follower!

    ReplyDelete